Saturday, February 02, 2008

Artic Freeze Week

So this week was a little cool...to say the least. The temperature outside Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with wind chill was around -46 degrees Celsius...convert to farenheit you got about -40 degrees as well. Monday was great as it gave me the day to deep clean my house. With this cold it really cramps my morning run. Usually I'll run at 6:30 before Sam leaves for work. It's great, I love it. I usually set my temperature limit at -20...anything colder and I don't go...then I'll wake up and the temp will be -22...-30 with the windchill. I find it a challenge from Mother Nature and I say BRING IT ON! So I bundle up and head out for a 10km/7km or 5km depending on the schedule. It's invigorating...I love running down the road and getting the stares from the people in their equally cold cars that won't warm up until the pull into the parking lot. It's empowering to say the least. It lets me know that I'M in control of my life. SO...with this ARTIC freeze I've resorted to running on my mom's "death"mill. Really at -40 exposed skin can freeze in less then a minute...I'm not that insane. So Monday and Tuesday I ran 3 miles on the mill...seriously I rather run 6 miles outside then touch a treadmill. But I needed to run so I did it. I knew that Thursday was supposed to be warmer. I woke up at 5:10 with Ella...put her back to bed and checked the temp. It was a balmy -3! I was SO excited.I just laid in bed waiting to go running wondering if I'd be totally crazy to go at 5:15. Sam has started to run a little in the mornings. He had planned to in the morning and I'd go when he got home. He woke up at 6:00 I said "are you running?" He said "No, I don't feel well." I jumped out of bed and got my gear on. It was awesome. I was able to use me new GPS heart rate monitor as well. That was so cool. Sam got it for me as an early Valentines Day gift. It's super cool. Hopefully it'll help me run faster. So far so good. I've used it 3 times and each time my pace per mile as increased. It's cool to know how fast you're going or should I say how slow you're going. My goal is to do the Moonlight run in under 57 minutes. My real goal is to maintain a 9 minute mile over 6 miles. But my ultimate goal is be in control of life. I believe that that goal is achieved each morning as I throw my feet over the edge of the bed. I want to be healthy for my girls and set a good example for them. Every now and then Nali will ask to go running. So we get dressed up and run around the block a few times. It's awesome. Somehow she always beats me.

8 comments:

Christal said...

You rock Renee!! You are a trooper I resort to the "death mill" an hour a day in the winter but from april to october I'm outside its so much more invigorating so all I have to say is you rock!! and I;m a wimp ha ha!! Its so cold I'm so totally ready for spring!! One of these days right!! Well TTYL

Stephanie and Paul said...

you do rock. you're an inspiration to us all. i run outside here in baltimore and people think i'm crazy to run at 40+ F...and it's nowhere near a 10K thank you, it will take me years to get to that. when it's not cold i take luke on little runs with me too!

Annie Leavitt said...

ugh, hate hate hate the deathmill. proud of you for getting out of bed. i have been letting the weather control me and saturday i resisted. i could care less if it was 29 degrees, crap that sounds so warm compared to you up north.
my goal is 9 minute mile 10k too! yeehaa! too bad i'm slower than molasses. but saturday was a great 9 miler getting me ready for moab. love you, wish i could go with :).

Annie Leavitt said...

i forgot to tell you, last week lucy asked me why i run. and i answered, "because it keeps mommy happy." so true. and i love that she knows when i lace up i am going out. she has been missing the runs this winter. in october we went out and some byu student was walking by and she said, "don't look at me lady!" agh! i could have died. i wish she would stay quiet on runs. love you!

Kelsie said...

You are so brave! I'm totally a fair-weather runner.

liz j said...

Awesome! In Chicago I had an 8 mile bike ride home every day (Darin dropped me off in the morning - don't like to arrive all sweaty). But I drew the line at 38 F. Any colder than that made any exposed skin hurt. That and the roads were way to icey.

I think I draw the line at jogging outside somewhere around freezing. Colder than that and I just have to stay indoors and drink cocoa!

Lance and Becky said...

You are inspiring me to get my butt in gear and start running again! It's the only way to get this baby weight off, I just need to cowboy up and go! Thanks Renee!

Tish Solomon said...

Wow! That's all the more amazing to me now that I have experienced about -33 (celsius). I'm not at all a runner, and I do sometimes wonder if all the people running here in Madison when it is icy and freezing cold are totally mad. you've made me think about being in control of my own life though. Putting those feet over the edge of the bed. I like the image. Power to you for running in the freezing cold!!!!!