Friday, June 12, 2009

Nali's First Triathlon

So last year after I did one of my triathlons Nali told me that she wanted to do one. I told her sure...she needs to work on her swimming and learn how to ride a two wheeler...she accepted the challenge. We registered her for the Vulcan Tinman Triathlon in the Tinbit category. She had to swim 25 metres, bike 800 metre's and run 200 metre's.
The day of the Triathlon was NASTY...it was about 1-3 degrees celsius...32 degrees Farenheit. A mix of snow/hail/sleet/sunshine...keep in mind it was June 6th...
Here's Nali at the start of the swim! She was SO excited...most of the kids in her heat wore life jackets. They started them out in the deep end.
She started off really strong...
And was SO excited!


But about 3 metre's from the end she started to struggle...BAD! Her head bobbed under a few times...Sam and I were worried and both comtemplated jumping in...the life guard threw her a flutter board...she reached for it but reach it... she kind of got it together and finished the last few feet. I pulled her out and just kept telling how great she did...she was quite shaken up.


We quickly dried her off and got her dressed and off she went on the bike ride!





Her bike ride was uneventful thank goodness.

She quickly jumped off and dashed to the finish! She was running so fast I wasn't able to catch up with her to get a good picture!
All the kids got a medal at the end of the race! Nali was SO happy...Here she is running into Sam at the finish! We were so proud of her! Sam was crying!

My little Triathlete!

4 comments:

The1stdaughter said...

How awesome! Way to go Nali! I can't wait to hear more about your future triathlons, because I'm sure this wasn't your last.

marianne said...

Awesome, adorable and very impressive! I LOVED talking to you the other night...:)!

liz j said...

That is sooo cute! Good for her for sticking with it after a hard start.

Littleton Young Womens said...

So I am such a bad blogging friend, but I have just caught up on your blog and have to tell you how amazed I am with Nali! What a incredible little thing she is! Like her mother! Way to go Nali, we would have been cheering you on! Your old friends from Provo are very proud of you! You too Renee, way to go with all your races, what huge accomplishments! Hope all is well!
Kelly