So it has been a goal of mine for years to compete in a triathlon. The biggest thing holding me up from reaching this goal is I DON'T SWIM!!! So in January I decided to do something about that. I took a beginner swimming class at the university. At the beginning of the class I was unable to swim the width of the pool. Slowly I improved. After 10 weeks of the beginner class I was okay swimming 25 metres. I signed up for the intermediate swim class and did that for 10 weeks. Slowly my confidence in the water has increased. I'm still a little unsure in the water but I can do it.
SO my first triathlon was July 19th! It was a 700 metre open water swim, 27.5 km bike ride and a 5 km run.
Here's my gear layed out waiting to be put into my transition station bags. Tri's are so different then just running. A lot more gear involved.

Nali putting a little good luck on my swim cap!

Me and my friend Crystal. She was the only other person I knew doing it. It was FREEZING that morning. When we first arrived at the lake to set up our bike transition there were white caps on the lake.

My ready to swim...or at least I thought I was ready to swim. About 25 metres in the swim I had a panic attack...seriously I thought I was going to die. It is SUCH a different feeling swimming in open water then in a pool. You can't see the bottom, there's no edge...pretty much no bottom and there's waves crashing over your head PLUS people kicking you in the face...I stopped at 25 meters and looked at the shore and thought "I CAN'T DO THIS" as I thought this I saw 2 people get in the boat and quit...I thought "YOU HAVE TO DO THIS" so I paddled on....I was unable to put my water in the rest of the swim...I really lost everything I had learned in my lessons BUT I DID IT!!!!

Here's me SO happy that I didn't drowned and that I did it! Sam, Nali and Ella were there cheering me on as I got on the bike. I need to mention I was the THIRD last person getting out of the water...am I proud of that YES! I'm proud of that because I was brave enough to get into the water.

How beautiful is this! I loved the bike section...I was able to pass about 12 people on the bike.

Me telling my little family I love them.

The run went well...so cool to see that finish. I kept thinking as I was doing all this how lucky I am to be able to do all this. That I have a supportive husband and family. That I have a healthy body. It was really incredible to complete one of my long time goals.

I DID IT!

My good luck charms. Sam, the girls and my mom and dad were there at the finish! I was SO HAPPY!!! I'm TOTALLY sold on TRI's. I can't wait for my next one next month!!!

9 comments:
I am so proud of you Renee!! Love you, deni
Renee, That is so AWESOME, honestly you enspire me So much, you are just so dedicated in anything you do. I love it and thanks for you great example in everything. Maybe I will do a 5k or a 10k sometime, now that you have done a triathlon. Way to Go (:
Impressive! I have a couple neighbors who do triathlons and they say it's addicting ... looks like it. Congratulations.
Congrats Renee! So awesome that you were able to overcome your fear in the water. Sounds scary to me. I have open-water issues. My TRI's were in the pool...yeah baby.
I am so happy that you accomplished your goal.
Oh, and you rocked that wetsuit.
You are amazing that is so awesome!! I admire you for doing that my little 4 k run a day sounds lame against that seriously that is inspiring!!! Love the girls waiting for there awesome mom they look so proud of you!! And they should be! ttys
Congrats Renee!!! What an amazing accomplishment!!! Seriously!! That is so cool. You're my hero! :)
R: I am so PROUD of you! You are such an inspiration. I can remember a few races with you:)! Wow. Way to go!!
Love, M
P.S. Your girls are so cute and I can't believe how big Nali is...I miss you guys...
Congratulations Renee!
You are totally my hero! I sooo want to do one of those...the whole pregnancy thing...yep, gotta wait! How awesome, what a stud you are! You go girl!
Post a Comment